Monday, August 11, 2008

The Season Approaches....

OK. Where to start. As the 2008/9 breeding season approaches, I am starting to monitor the mares a little more closely. As their coats start to 'shift', so do their attitudes! I have 3 new TB mares of my own this season: Sassy, by Hula Town, Lady, by Columbia and 'Ducky' (Garbo's Last) by Mellifont. I have 2 mares to foal this season, Glamour Girl and JK My Penny. Industrial sized rolls of cotton wool required!
In between working the youngsters and visits to the broodmares, I have lifted nearly 2000 lambs for my long-suffering-non-horsey husband. Docking is a great way to keep fit, although, if you are partial to lambs tails (EW - I know!) all of the benefits are negated as you tend to scoff your days work! We have had a great lambing. Only ended up with 2 pets, Bruce and TinkyWinky, who both 'lost' their tails yesterday. Calving is now imminent. I think we are calving around 300 cows (beefys) this year....will double check that. The vineyard is awaiting a team of pruners....once again, my best layed (laid?) plans have come to sod all when it comes to taking charge of that job! ...Maybe next year?

No comments: